June 10th, 2020
Many adults and teens in our Albuquerque office would love to have their teeth straightened but are unwilling to go through the long and often embarrassing process of wearing traditional metal braces. Invisalign® and Invisalign Teen® clear aligners offer the perfect solution: They’re the most advanced clear aligner systems in the world!
If you’re considering getting braces, there are several reasons why you might want to consider Invisalign clear aligners. Here are some of them:
- You can eat whatever food you like, without worrying about it catching in wires or breaking brackets.
- People won’t likely be able to tell you’re wearing them!
- The aligners can be removed at any time.
- You can brush and floss as you normally would, which helps to maintain better overall oral health.
- Invisalign aligners are made of a smooth BPA-free plastic and are more comfortable to wear than traditional braces. You’ll need to visit our Albuquerque office less often: only once every six weeks or so.
- With Invisalign Teen, you’ll receive up to six replacements for lost or broken aligners.
Before starting treatment, you’ll have a consultation with Drs. James and Mary Rose Twohig to see if Invisalign or Invisalign Teen treatment is right for you. After that, you’ll have X-rays, pictures, and impressions taken of your teeth.
That information will be used to make the 3D models of your teeth that let Drs. James and Mary Rose Twohig see how they will move throughout the entire treatment and approximately how long it will take.
You’ll receive your aligners based on the treatment plan we recommend. You’ll get a new set of aligners every two weeks. All you need to do is wear your aligners 22 hours a day and you’ll be on your way to a straighter smile in no time!
Ask a member of our Albuquerque team for more information about Invisalign clear aligners today!
June 3rd, 2020
The community health awareness group Oral Health America has reported that 82 percent of adults are unaware of the role that infectious bacteria can play in tooth decay or cavities, and almost three out of five children aged 12 to 19 have tooth decay. Since June is National Smile Month, Drs. James and Mary Rose Twohig and our team at Twohig Dentistry thought we’d remind our patients about the importance of good oral hygiene visits between office visits.
To keep your family’s smiles healthy and beautiful for years to come, be sure to:
- Brush at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Floss every day to clean between your teeth
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
- Reduce your intake of sugary foods and drinks
- Visit Drs. James and Mary Rose Twohig for scheduled appointments
If you want to know more about healthy home care habits, feel free to ask our team at your next appointment, or ask us on Facebook!
May 27th, 2020
These days, it’s become more common to see adults at our office getting their teeth straightened with Invisalign clear aligners . . . that is, if you can see them! Whether they are seeking to overcome the stigma that “braces are just for kids,” or simply want straighter teeth without a mouth full of metal, Invisalign is an effective and easy solution.
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, from 1994 to 2010 the number of adults 18 and older who request braces increased by 58 percent: from 680,000 to 1.1 million a year. Many adults enjoy how discreet the aligners are and that the user doesn’t need to avoid any foods or make dietary changes the way you would with traditional braces. Also, each treatment is unique to the patient.
With an Invisalign treatment, you can expect to enjoy the following benefits over traditional braces:
- The total treatment time is more precise with Invisalign because your treatment is modeled by a computer. Traditional braces depend more on an estimate and aren’t as exact.
- You’ll make fewer trips to our Albuquerque office, since you’re able to change your trays on your own every few weeks or whatever is prescribed.
- Without brackets to place over your teeth, there’s less risk to the health of your tooth enamel.
- Invisalign aligners are clear and practically invisible, so most people won’t even know you’re wearing them!
If you’re interested in Invisalign as a treatment option, please let Drs. James and Mary Rose Twohig know. We’d be happy to help you on your journey to a straighter, healthier smile!
May 27th, 2020
We hope that this letter finds you and your families in good health. We at Twohig Dentistry have been anxious to see you!
On Friday, May 8, the governor lifted the order restricting dental care to urgent or emergency procedures only and we began to see patients on May 13. Our staff has been trained on new protocols that are recommended by the ADA and CDC and we are prepared to see you. For the next few weeks, we will see half the number of patients we normally see which will allow us to ensure that the systems that we implemented are effective and efficient. If you have a hygiene appointment scheduled in the next few weeks and it is canceled, the reason is that we are adjusting to better ensure the safety of both our staff and patients. In a previous letter, we mentioned some of the protocols which we are implementing. As a reminder, they are listed below:
- When we confirm your appointment, we will either screen you on the phone or, if you schedule by email, you will receive a screening form via email. We ask that you complete the form and bring it with you to your appointment.
- We ask that you reschedule your appointment if you have symptoms of respiratory infection on the day that you are scheduled.
- We will try and schedule high-risk patients at times when we have fewer patients in the office.
- On the day of your appointment, we ask that you wait in your car until you receive a call or text asking you to come into the office.
- As you come into the office, we will take your temperature and review the questions that you were asked or sent.
- If someone is accompanying you to your appointment, please ask them to wait in the car. If this is not possible, please use social distancing in the reception area.
- Patients will be asked to use a preprocedural rinse prior to your appointment.
In addition to new office implementations, we are diligently following CDC guidelines including wearing face shields and KN95 masks covered with surgical masks during procedures that generate aerosols. We will also change jackets after every patient. Due to the extra protective equipment that we will wear, we ask that you bring a sweater and/or dress warmer than you would for the weather outside as the office will be cooler than usual. Finally, it’s important to note that due to the expense of the additional precautions we are taking there will be a $10.00 PPE fee added to your appointment. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the office at any time.
We look forward to caring for you.
Mary Rose Twohig DDS and team